This week's sketch theme is....

Friday, April 2, 2010

The Crow

I remember growing up in Indiana, and going to my brother's friend Tim Roger's house, his brother Roy was the biggest Bruce Lee fan. He was a huge fan of Brandon Lee as well, and introduced me to the Crow comics. Then, when I was in high school I picked up the Alex Maleev drawn Crow comics. I always loved how expressive it was. So when I finally got to meet James O'Barr it was a treat, and every time since, he is extremely nice!

With this, I wanted to go with a different approach, I did the drawing about 2 1/2 inches tall, and got a really expressive and better composed design than if I tried to pencil it at full size. Then I scanned the sketch and blew it up on an 11X14 inch sheet and went to town with inks. I wanted to retain the expressive nature of the lines, so I went with a simple textured color approach on the figure and a gradient for the background. In all, tons of fun to work on!

No comments:

Post a Comment